Infectious Diseases 00964 750 4506172
MBChB, MSc, PhD, PDipID, FRCP(Glasg)
1. Almufty HB, Abdulrahman IS, Merza MA. Latent Tuberculosis Infection among Healthcare Workers in Duhok Province: From Screening to Prophylactic Treatment. Tropical Medicine and Infectious Disease. 2019 Jun;4(2):85.
2. Merza MA, Adham DK, Yaqo RT. Unusual recurrent skin lesions: Bazin's disease. Int J Community Med Public Health 2019;6:879-82.
3. Merza MA, Savo AS, Jaafer M. Risk of latent tuberculosis infection among diabetic patients in Azadi Teaching Hospital, Duhok province: a case control study. Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. 2018, 4 (2), 227-232.
4. Merza MA, Yousif BM, Younus MK, Omer BM, Ahmed HI. Characteristics of patients with HBeAg negative chronic hepatitis B virus infection in Duhok, Kurdistan region. Int J Res Med Sci. 2018, 6(5): 2615-2620.
5. Merza MA, Selivany BJ, Aldoski MRN. Prevalence of Hepatitis B and C Viruses among Patients. Who Underwent Dental Interventions in a Dental Care. Units at College of Dentistry, Duhok, Kurdistan. JICJME 2017, 3(6): 1-4.
6. Merza MA, Savo AS, Barwari ZA, Karim S. Hepatitis C Virus Infection and the Risk of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases in Azadi Teaching Hospital, Duhok, Kurdistan. Scientific J Infect Dis 2017, 1:21-25.
7. Merza MA, Characteristics of Chronic Hepatitis B Virus. Patients Related Liver Cirrhosis in a Tertiary. Care Referral Hospital, Duhok, Iraqi Kurdistan. J Gastroenterol Pancreatol Liver Disord 2017. 4:1-5.
8. Mohammed RA, Salih AM, Mirza MA, Ismail TH, Allam AA. Prognosis of Liver Disorders in Dna Positive Hbv Patients Based on Fuzzy Soft Sets.Science Journal of University of Zakho 2017: 5(1): 112-119.
9. Muter Muhammed, Merza MA, Issa HA, Shaikhow SK. Risk Factors and Angiographic Findings in Patients with LBBB Who Underwent Coronary Angiography in Duhok Heart Center. JMSCR 2016:4(11):14112-14117.
10. Merza MA, Haji SM, Alsharafani AMH, Muhammed SU. Low prevalence of hepatitis B and C among tuberculosis patients in Duhok Province, Kurdistan: Are HBsAg and antiHCV prerequisite screening parameters in tuberculosis control program? IJMyco.2016; 5(3): 313-317.
11. Yadegarynia D, Merza MA, Sali S, Seghatoleslami ZS. Multiple intracranial tuberculomas in a post-kidney transplant patient. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2016;27(1):135-8.
12. Sali Si, Merza MA, Saadat S, Mustafa NH, Queiky F, Yadegarynia D. Seroclearance of Hbsag in Chronic Hepatitis B Virus Patients on Lamivudine Therapy: A 10 Year Experience Glob J Health Sci; 2015: 7(6): 101-104.
13. Sali S, Sharafi H, Alavian SH, Alavian SM, Etesam F, Salimi S, Merza MA, Keshvari M. Can serum level of HBsAg differentiate HBeAg-negative chronic hepatitis B from inactive carrier state? Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2015.
14. Merza MA. Risk factors for multi-drug resistant tuberculosis of Afghan immigrants in a tertiary care hospitalized tuberculosis patients in Iran. IJCR 2015:7(1):12032-12035.
15. Merza MA, Hassan WM, Muhammad AS. Frequency of HBV and HCV among Patients Undergoing Elective Surgery in a Tertiary Care Referral Hospital in Duhok, Iraqi Kurdistan.JMSCR 2014:2(4):1810-1815.
16. Velayati AA, Merza MA, Frania P. Association of P2X7 gene polymorphisms with chronic hepatitis B virus infection in Duhok, Iraqi Kurdistan. International Journal of Sciences: Basic and Applied Research (IJSBAR) 2014:16(2): 131-137.
17. Yadegarynia D, Merza MA, Sali Sh, Firuzkuhi AG. A rare case presentation of oral actinomycosis. IJMyco; 2013; 2(3): 187-189.
18. Sali Sh, Merza MA, Yadegarynia D. Occupational Exposure to Blood Borne Viruses Among Healthcare Workers in a Tertiary Care Referral Hospital in Tehran. Hepat Mon. 2013. 13(7): e12201. DOI: 10.5812/hepatmon.12201.
19. Abdullah SM, Hussein NR, Salih AM, Merza MA, Goreal AA, Odeesh OY, et al. Infection with Helicobacter pylori strains carrying babA2 and cagA is associated with an increased risk of peptic ulcer disease development in Iraq. Arab J Gastroenterol. 2012 Dec;13(4):166-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ajg.2012.12.001. Epub 2013 Jan 8.
20. Rosales S, Jureen P, Zalutskayae A, Skrahina A, Xu B, Hu Y, Pineda-Garcia L, Merza MA, et al. Drug resistance-related mutations in multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from diverse geographical regions. 2012;3:124-130.
21. Merza MA, Jabrial FK, Hussein NR. Intestinal obstruction secondary to primary ileocecal tuberculosis: A case report. IJMyco; 2012; 1(2): 96-98.
22. Merza MA, Salih AM. First insight into the genetic diversity of Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains from patients in Duhok, Iraq. IJMyco; 2012 (1)1: 13-20.
23. Velayati AA, Farnia P, Masjedi MR, Zhavnerko GK, Merza MA, Ghanavi J, et al. Sequential adaptation in latent tuberculosis bacilli: observation by atomic force microscopy (AFM). Int J Clin Exp Med; 2011;4(3):193-189. Epub 2011 Sep 15.
24. Sheikholslami M, Farnia P, Tabarsi P, Merza MA, Pooramiri MV, Mohammadi F, et al. Comparison of polymerase chain reaction single-strand conformation polymorphism with DNA sequencing to detect drug resistance of mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates. Iranian Journal of Clinical Infectious Diseases 2011; 6(2): 66-70.
25. Merza MA, Farnia P, Tabarsi P, Kazampour M, Masjedi MR, Velayati AA. Antituberculosis drug resistance and associated risk factors in a tertiary level TB center in Iran: a retrospective analysis. J Infect Dev Ctries 2011; 5(7):511-519.
26. Merza MA, Farnia P, Salih AM, Masjedi MR, Velayati AA. First insight into the drug resistance pattern of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Dohuk, Iraq: using spoligotyping and MIRU-VNTR to characterize multidrug resistant strains. J Infect Public Health 2011;4:41-47.
27. Velayati AA, Farnia P, Merza MA, Zhavnerko GK, Tabarsi P, Titov LP, et al. New insight into extremely drug-resistant tuberculosis: using atomic force microscopy. Eur Respir J; 2010;36(6):1490-1493.
28. Farnia P, Mohammad RM, Merza MA, Tabarsi P, Zhavnerko GK, Ibrahim TA, et al. Growth and cell-division in extensive (XDR) and extremely drug resistant (XXDR) tuberculosis strains: transmission and atomic force observation. Int J Clin Exp Med 2010;3:308-314.
29. Merza MA, Farnia P, Salih AM, Masjedi MR, Velayati AA. The most predominant Spoligopatterns of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates among Iranian, AfghanImmigrant, Pakistani and Turkish tuberculosis patients: a comparative analysis. Chemotherapy 2010;56:248-257.
30. Merza MA, Farnia P, Masjedi MR, Ridell M. Anti-tuberculosis drug resistance in Duhok, Iraq. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2010;14:1213-1214.
31. Tabarsi P, Merza MA, Marjani M. Active pulmonary tuberculosis manifesting with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: a rare presentation. Braz J Infect Dis 2010;14:639640.
32. Merza M, Masjedi MR. Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR) and extremely drug-resistant tuberculosis (XXDR): risk factors and molecular perspectives. Iranian Journal of Clinical Infectious Diseases 2010; 5(3):174-188.
33. Salih AM, Merza MA. Risk factors for multidrug resistant tuberculosis: a review. Duhok Med J 2010; 4(2):1-7.
34. Jafarian M, Aghali-Merza M, Farnia P, Ahmadi M, Masjedi MR, Velayati AA. Synchronous Comparison of Mycobacterium tuberculosis Epidemiology Strains by "MIRU-VNTR" and "MIRU-VNTR and Spoligotyping" Technique. Avicenna J Med Biotechnol. 2010 Jul;2(3):145-52.
35. Merza M, Farnia P, Anoosheh S, Varahram M, Kazampour M, Pajand O et al. The NRAMPI, VDR and TNF-alpha gene polymorphisms in Iranian tuberculosis patients: the study on host susceptibility. Braz J Infect Dis 2009; 13:252-256.
36. Varahram M, Farnia P, Anoosheh S, Kazampour M, Merza M, Saeif S, et al. The VDR and TNF-α gene polymorphisms in Iranian tuberculosis patients: The study on host susceptibility. Iranian Journal of Clinical Infectious Diseases 2009;4:207-213.
Poster presentations (Abstracts):
1. Merza MA. Genotyping of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates in the Dohuk city of Iraq using MIRU-VNTR. 2010. Presetned at IUATLD, Berlin, Germany.
2. Sheikholslami M,Farnia P, Seif S, Bayat M, Anoshe S, Mirza MA, Masjedi MR, Velayati AA. The relationship between single nucleotide polymorphism of interferon gamma receptor 1 and susceptibility to tuberculosis. 2010. Presented at ERS, Barcelona, Spain.
3. Merza MA, Farnia P, Salih AM, Masjedi MR, Velayati AA. The predominant Spoligopatterns of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from Iranian, Afghan patients and its comparison to Turkey and Pakistan. 2009. Presented at FEMS, Gothenburg, Sweden.
College of Medicine,
College of Dentistry,
College of Pharmacy, and
College of Health Sciences
MSc , PhD and Board in Internal Medicine
National and International participation’s, workshops and training’s:
10-12th Dec 2001:
Duhok-Kurdistan-IRAQ, A workshop on Health Management. Organized by Dr. Enayatulla Aman, UNWHO officer in charge – Duhok sub-office.
28-31st Dec 2002:
Duhok-Kurdistan-IRAQ, First workshop on communicable Diseases control in Complex Emergency Situation. Organized by Dr. Chehrezad Ghazi, UNWHO acting coordinator of Northern Iraq.
3-4th April 2002:
Duhok-Kurdistan-IRAQ, First Medical conference of the college of medicines. Organized by University of Duhok.
5-6th Sep 2003:
Baghdad-IRAQ, A workshop on child protection. Organized by ministery of health/Baghdad.
5-7th May 2004:
Hawler-Kurdistan-IRAQ, Second Medical conference conducted at Ministery of health conference hall.
16-20th Sep 2006:
Duhok-Kurdistan-IRAQ, International Classification of Diseases 10th revision workshop.
20-24th Aug 2006:
Erbid-Jordan, Overview on provision of health services in Jordanian hospitals and getting information on the learning aspects in University of Science and Technology at Erbid
11-14th Dec 2006:
Cairo-Egypt, Intercountry workshop on rapid response for avian and pandamic influenza: training of trainers. Organized by WHO Eastern Mediterranean Region.
2-17th Sep 2007:
Seoul-Korea, Training course on Health Policy and Program Management. Organized by planned population fedration of Korea and the Korea international cooperation agency of the Republic of Korea.
9-14th Jun 2008:
Tehran-Iran, Training course on Hospital Infection Control. Organized by Masih Danshveri Hospital in collaboration with WHO.
28th Jun – 2nd Jul 2009:
Gothenburg-Swden, 3rd Congress of European Microbiologists -Federation of European Microbiological Societies (FEMS).
5-8th Jul 2009:
Porto-Portugal, 30th Annual Congress - European Society of Mycobacteriology
11-15th Nov 2010:
Berlin-Germany, 41 Union world conference on lung health – International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease
14-16 Dec 2010:
Diyarbaker, Turkey- Second Mesopatamian Health Days Congress.
2-4 Feb 2011:
Erbil, Kurdistan Region, Iraq-International Congress on Reform and Development of the Health Care System in Kurdistan Region-Iraq. Conference Cordinator
28-29 Oct 2011:
Duhok, Kurdistan Region, Iraq – Third Mesopatamian Health Days Congress. Conference coordinator.
19-20th Sep 2012:
Duhok-Kurdistan, the Second Scientific Conference of the Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Duhok.
15-17 May 2014:
Tehran-Iran, 5th International Tehran Hepatitis Congress.
03-06 July 2016:
37th Annual Congress of the European Society of Mycobacteriology (ESM), Catania, Italy.
26 Oct-11 Nov 2016:
Villa Marelli Institute, Niguarda Hospital, Milano, Italy, Training course on TB management in addition to training on viral hepatitis. Furthermore, training on Fibroscan machine.
26-27 Feb 2017:
Second International Conference for Medical Education, College of Medicine, University of Babylon
28 Feb – 1 Mar 2017:
Medical education and accreditation training, College of Medicine, University of Kufa
18 – 20 Apr 2017:
2nd International Scientific Conference, University of Zakho.
04-05 Aug 2017:
Training Workshop on Integrated System of Medical Education, College of Med, UOD in coordination with College of Med, Univ of Kufa
18-22 Sep 2017:
San Raffaele Turro, Department of Infectious Diseases and Tropical Diseases, IRCCS Ospedale San Raffaele, Milano, Italy. Clinical traing course in human immunodeficiency viruse disease.
21-24 Nov 2018:
Training for medical education via innovative e-technology (MediTec), Erasmus programme capacity building in the filed of higher education. Kosice, Slovakia.
14-18 Jan 2019:
Training for medical education via innovative e-technology (MediTec)/MediTec Training, Erasmus programme capacity building in the filed of higher education. Brno, Czech Republic.
00964 750 4506172